Loading my van
Loading my van
  1. Home >
  2. Questions & Answers >
  3. Loading my van
Questions & Answers

Loading my van

Check our FAQs to know everything you need about security.

Does my van need to show what kind of load I'm transporting?

You may need to indicate how much you are carrying and/or any dangerous material on board. 

You must use large goods vehicle rear markings if you are driving a van with a maximum gross weight over 7,500 kg, or towing a trailer with a maximum gross weight over 3,500 kg. The same is true for van and trailer combinations exceeding 13 metres in length. Make sure you are aware of the law regarding overhanging loads as well.If you are carrying dangerous goods such as flammable, corrosive or other noxious substances, you should use the appropriate hazard plates. Consult the full list of vehicle markings for more information.

Does my insurance cover any kind of load?

Your vehicle insurance will generally cover the van and property damage liability as long as the load meets legal standards. 

Check the specific maximum vehicle weight (with payload) that your insurance covers. Your provider may refuse to cover damages if payload exceeds the maximum capacity of the specific van model or that of your driver’s license (the standard Category B licence covers up to 3,500 kg, which includes the weight of the van as well as any passengers.) As for insuring the payload itself, check your insurance’s “Goods in transit” clause or insurance option. Non-standard goods, such as hazardous substances, are typically subject to specific insurance policies. Make sure your provider is aware of the goods you usually transport as part of your day-to-day business.

What is the law on overhanging loads?

When carrying overhanging loads, you must take into account various regulations and safety considerations depending on the length of projection.

Actions required for loads projecting forward or rearward, by length:

Up to 1 metre: no particular requirement.

1–2 metres: the end must be made clearly visible on rearward loads.

2–3.05 metres: requires marker boards and, for forward loads, a safety attendant.

3.05 metres and more: requires marker boards and a safety attendant as well as 2 working days’ notice to the police.

For side projecting loads:

• Lateral projections over 305 mm on either side require 2 working days’ notice to the police, front and rear marker boards, and additional lights in poor visibility conditions.

• Projections over 3.5 metres (overall width not exceeding 4.3 metres) require the same dispositions as the above, plus a safety attendant.

Be sure to consult official guidelines for overhanging loads on vehicles for all specific requirements.

Where can I unload waste from my van?

Any waste resulting from a commercial activity, even in your own home, is considered commercial waste. Just like waste from construction, demolition, industry and agriculture, its disposal is regulated.

To dispose of your own waste regularly, you must register with the Environment Agency as a waste carrier . This process is usually free if you only transport waste produced by your own business activities; failure to register could lead you to be fined up to £5,000. Waste must be unloaded at a facility approved by the local authority.